Saturday, December 6, 2008

Coincidences

I'm driving to work on Friday morning and I see two teenage girls jumping over a brick fence (by the way which is very tall 7 feet or so) and one of the girls has blonde hair and a burgundy sweater just like one that my daughter owns. I say to myself as I almost come to a complete stop in the middle of the road "My daughter would never skip school". I continue on but questions abound. I put that thought aside for the day and call home around 5:00 to find out Hayleys progress report. Chris tells me she isn't home yet. Minute after minute passes Hayley is still not home. Chris drives to the bus stop. We call her cell phone repeatedly and it goes right to voicemail. I am at work and feel nauseous with all kind of thoughts running through my head. As Chris is getting ready to drive to her friend Lindsay's house a car pulls into the driveway. Hayley is finally home at 5:35. Her friend Carla's father gave her a ride home because the girls stayed after school to finish their Biology tests. These tests are so hard (biology honors) they can't finish them during class. Her cell phone was in her room not charged and she couldn't just call us from school. I calmed down considerably by the time I got home but good god child call your mother when your going to be late. We worry about you.

After this is over Chris tells me that our dog Molly escaped out the front door at around 4:00 pm and almost got hit by a car. A teenage boy in the neighborhood heard Chris scream and stopped the car in the middle of the street. Then our ferocious dog started running after his car barking at the tires when he tried to go just 5 houses up the street. The poor kid was probably traumatized. I know that Chris was. Not a very relaxing afternoon for him. I think I might have had it easier being at work. I'm counting down the hours until 5:00 when I will be off.

No comments: