Monday, April 2, 2007

Dealing with Pyschiatrists and Psychologists

So now we enter the world of psychologists and psychiatrists and try this medication at this dose and if that doesn't work we will adjust to this medication or increase this dose and he will take the medication at 8, then 12, then 3 and then 6. Now my son is on a roller coaster he goes up then crashes down and then up and down. He is like a junkie on heroin. Back in those days there were not time release capsules for adhd. So the children would go from a great high to a complete low.
Obviously, that wasn't working and we continued to have behavioral issues. Colton was moved to a Varying Exceptionalities class for children who ranged for the most part of mentally impaired. My son mentally impaired? No, but the school system had no idea where to place him. He couldn't be in a regular classroom as he created such a huge disturbance in the class. Colton gained quite the reputation at the school and everyone knew him by name. Now don't get me wrong. There were many teachers that tried to help my son, but there were also many teachers who just labeled Colton as a trouble maker and did nothing to help him achieve some sort of stability and learning.
Now on to the psychologists and pyschiatrists. My definition of a psychiatrist from my experience "Overpaid drug dealer who can legally dispense medications." Every three months I would pull my son out of school and drive him to the pyschiatrist. The pyschiatrist would weigh Colton as these medications supressed appetites. The pyschiatrist would say how is everything going? I would say fine and think just write me the prescription so I can get out of here. He would then ask Colton how is everything and Colton would usually not respond. Then many moments of silence later as Colton is bouncing around his office and I am constantly admonishing him don't touch that the doctor finally writes the prescription. Looks up in the middle of writing and says how are his grades? I respond he is doing okay. Explain that he is a VE student etc. etc. He continues to write the prescription and we are finally on our way. We repeat this every three months for years. After many years I have a hard time containing myself and almost blurt out if there is a problem I will let you know. Please don't ask me these stupid questions anymore. One psychiatrist would ask Colton do you hear voices? Now my son has reached about the age of 10 and he looks at me like what do I say to that. Now in the car on the way to the psychiatrist I have to guide my son in how to respond to this quack and can someone tell me where she got her license from? In Florida on most HMO plans you have doctors who you wonder where could they have gotten their licenses from? A third world country? Don't get me wrong I don't believe I am racist but I would like to be able to understand the person I am speaking to and not be asked stupid questions.
On to psychologists, I would drive Colton once or twice per month and at the age of 6 Colton would go into her office and play. She would watch him in his play. First Colton at this age has a very difficult time talking about his feelings. He is not mature enough to tell her how he is feeling other than in one word. I felt this was a complete waste of time. We have seen many psychologists over these years and not one yet has made any progress with my son.
Their diagnosis that Colton is acting out from our divorce and that it is excaberated by the adhd and impulse control disorder. No shit sherlock I didn't need to be driving for 30,000 hours over the past 5 years and spending $5,000 for you to tell me what I all ready knew. Thanks for your help!

No comments: