Friday, October 10, 2008

Teaching Teenagers Self Discipline


I'm off today and it is a dreary, rainy morning in Florida. We don't have many of those. It is pretty much reflecting my mood right now. We keep waiting for the stock market to stop it's free fall. Feels like we are hemorraging here. Budget's stock is at 3.28 and their are so many uncertainies in the world right now. Sure could use some good news!


Then we have Hayley. How do you get a child to be self disciplined? Maybe I need to buy a self help book on raising teenagers. We seem to have the same conversations continually and the answer from her is always the same, I know mom. Well, if she knows then why do I keep getting the same results. She is in all honors classes except for English her least favorite subject. She is struggling in all of her classes right now. Not because she can't do the work but because she is not disciplined enough to study the material and simply turn her homework in.


I have tried taking the computer away from her during the week. She is only allowed online if she has homework to do. It seemed to work for the first week. I saw a little rise in her grades. Then this week more missing assignments. I am working 12 hour days and when I finally get home the last thing I want to do is continually question her to see if she has finished her homework. She is almost 16. What is she going to do in two years when she is on her own. I continually tell her she needs to apply herself now! She says I KNOW MOM.


What's interesting to note is that my son Colton who has ADHD and Impulse Control Disorder is actually much more self disciplined than Hayley. It's not that he has been raised any differently, just that it is in his character. It has lessened somewhat since he became a teenager but I still see glimpses of it underneath all the teen coolness (laziness) that he displays.


I just googled teaching teenagers self discipline and found this article. I think I will spend some time reading online to see if I can find something that helps. http://www.namb.net/site/c.9qKILUOzEpH/b.695825/k.72DD/Teenagers_and_Motivation.htm


Thankful and praying for this little girl who successfully completed her tumor resection yesterday. Hoping for NED status for her. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katiekline

No comments: